Artist + Advocate + Administrator
COMMUNITY ARTS ADVOCATES, INC.
PO Box 300112, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130-0030
Web site: www.CommunityArtsAdvocates.org
Articles & Media Reviews
Stephen Baird has been featured in Time, Newsweek, USA Today, People Magazine, Boston Globe, Washington Post, New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Los Angles Times, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Milwaulkee Journal, Sing Out! Magazine and numerous regional newspapers. He has also been featured, quoted and referenced in books, educational journals and graduate thesis including the American Bar Association Journal and National Law Review.
Stephen Baird writings have been published in numerous magazines and he has published magazines and cultural directories for over three decades.
Samples are available upon request or Stephen Baird's Articles & Reviews (8 pages 1.6 mb large file) click here.
Below are some some links to articles featuring Stepehn Baird's arts advocacy work, See the entire web sites for additiona references.
Community Arts Advocates
Street Arts and Buskers Advocates
Jamaica Plain Gazette, March 24, 2017 by Sandra Storey
MBTA Legal Battle November-December 2003 (See the MBTA Media Campaign section for expanded list of Television, Radio and Print coverage here)
- Boston Globe published article SUBWAY MUSICIANS, UNPLUGGED, November 17, 2003 by Donovan Slack and Yuval http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/ 2003/11/17/subway_musicians_unplugged/
- Boston Globe published two articles Nov 26th by Michael S. Rosenwald
- The first talked about the partial delay of implementation at: http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2003/11/26/mbta_delays_subway_music_rules/
- The second was an interview with Tracy Chapman and former Governor Michael Dukakis: http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2003/11/26/to_chapman_underground_music_is_pure_performance
- The Boston Herald published and article Nov 26th by Aiden Fitzgerald on the delay:
- The Cambridge Chronicle published an article and very supportive editorial last week and new article by Mike Fisher this week on City Council unanimous vote to support the subway artists:
- Associated Press articles that have been nationally distributed -
- Christian Science Monitor interviews by Seth Stern 11/17 and archieve article from 1999:
- Washington Post story written by Jonathan Finer on the MBTA and Subway Performers conflict published on Monday December 8, 2003. See this link for the full story:
- Two Boston Globe article on September 5, 2004 with update on subway performances:
Boston Legal Battle June 2004-June 2006 ... on
- Boston Globe July 24, 2004, article by Shelley Murphy: http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/07/24/singers_sue_city_say_theyre_harassed/
- Boston Phoenix September 3, 2004, article "Killjoy was here" - Boston has long relied on onerous regulations to kick street performance to the curb. Now itinerant artists are fighting back in the courts. BY HARVEY A. SILVERGLATE AND DAN POULSON "Given the legal and cultural importance of public artistic expression, as well as the applicable judicial precedents, it is not difficult to predict that unless Boston cleans up its act voluntarily - and quickly - the city will undoubtedly lose this lawsuit." http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/top/features/documents/04097841.asp
- Cambridge Chronicle story August 12, 2004, By Amanda McGregor http://www2.townonline.com/cambridge/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=66429
- Associated Press AP picked up story in late July and was published around the country in various publications including the Metro West Daily News and in Burlington, Vermont, cities in Florida. http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=73977
- Boston Globe September 9, 2004 "Musicians, T singing two-part harmony" by Jason Nielsen. Article on subway performers with update on the Boston legal case. http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2004/09/05/musicians_t_singing_two_part_harmony/
- Boston Herald, Thursday, December 23, 2004 "Sidewalk shows must go on: Hub gives street performers a pass - for now." by J.M. Lawrence. http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=60211
- Boston Globe, December 24, 2004 "In court, city makes promise to let its sidewalks be stages." by Shelley Murphy, -- Strike up the band, pull out the magic tricks, and practice that mime routine: The shows will go on on the streets of Boston. http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2004/12/24/in_court_city_makes_promise_to_let_its_sidewalks_be_stages/
- WB 56 News, Fox 25 News, and New England Cable News all covered the story on December 24, 2004.
- Boston Metro Newspaper, December 27, 2004 "Judge rules for performers: Federal judge nixes rules prohibiting street performances" by Christina Wallace http://www.metropoint.com/
Click image for larger readable version
- Boston Phoenix, January 7 - 13, 2005: FREEDOM WATCH Street musicians, one; Boston Police, zero BY HARVEY A. SILVERGLATE AND DAN POULSON VICTORY SONG: Community Arts Advocates founder Stephen H. Baird prevailed in his suit to overturn city restrictions on street performers. But he worries that beat cops might not get the message. http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/this_just_in/documents/04383305.asp
- The National Law Journal, January 10, 2005, "Let the band play on, in public -- Judge overturns 1878 ban on street performers." By Lindsay Fortado http://www.law.com/
- Boston Globe Sunday Magazine, May 15, 2005, cover story "Let the Music Play," by James Sullivan with photos by Laurie Swope. Profiles of street and subway performers with references to Federal Court case: http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2005/05/15/let_the_music_play/
- "Boston Performer Fights for Right to Take It to the Street" By Daniel Wolff, The Student Underground, PO Box 55, Allston, MA 02134 http://www.thestudentunderground.org/article.php?id=182&issue=56
- USA Today article on Chicago Street Perofrmance issues, USA Today, February 9, 2006, Noise restrictions in Chicago muzzle makeshift musicians Rules snare street drummers, others By Judy Keen http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20060209/a_streetnoise09.art.htm
Stephen Baird's Concert Program Flyer click here
Stephen Baird's Children's Programs Flyer click here
Stephen Baird's Press Release Flyer click here
Stephen Baird's Appearance List Flyer click here
Stephen Baird's Recommendation Letters click here
Stephen Baird's Articles & Reviews (8 pages 1.6 mb large file) click here
(Most files are under 150 kb and will take only 30 seconds to download)
PDF Files retain design formats which can be read and printed by
Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click the Adobe icon below to down load
the free software program for your computer system.
Copyright 1972-2019 by Stephen Baird